» About Us
» Colleague Principles
In order to encourage, achieve and maintain an atmosphere of high integrity, trust, competence and harmony among all colleagues, customers and suppliers, each Morning Star colleague commits to the following:
1. Mission - Our Mission is to produce tomato products which consistently achieve the quality and service expectations of our customers in a cost effective and environmentally responsible manner.
2. Individual Goals and Teamwork - Each colleague hereby agrees to commit him or herself to the pursuit of perfection with regard to their integrity, competence and individual responsibility. In recognition of each colleague's personal goal of achieving happiness, each of us commits to pursue teamwork because Together Everyone Accomplishes More.
3. Personal Responsibility and Initiative - Each colleague agrees to take full responsibility for their actions as well as those of fellow colleagues and our overall Mission. Colleagues are personally responsible for their training, time commitments, performance and participating in and contributing toward achieving the Mission and practicing the Principles. Colleagues commit to manage themselves, to personally take the initiative to coordinate their responsibilities and activities with others, to develop opportunities for improvement and for making things happen.
4. Tolerance - It is understood that individuals differ in many ways--their values, tastes, moods and methods to achieve goals. It is agreed that these types of differences between individual colleagues will be respected and tolerated.
5. Direct Communication and Resolution of Conflicts - Conflicts and differences between human beings are a natural and necessary aspect of life, especially in the pursuit of excellence.
- When one colleague perceives that another colleague is not adhering to the Colleague Principles, or not acting in a manner conducive to achieving our Mission, that colleague shall privately discuss the matter with the other colleague as soon as practical and attempt to resolve any differences to their mutual satisfaction. As a general rule, colleagues shall not discuss such matters with other colleagues. However, if a colleague feels uneasy directly discussing a matter regarding another colleague, then they should to go to another colleague to discuss alternatives for solving the issue, keeping in mind that confidence should be maintained with their chosen ombudsman.
- If either of the colleagues do not feel the matter has been resolved to their satisfaction, then both of them shall agree to discuss the matter, together, with one other colleague as soon as practical and attempt to resolve any differences to their mutual satisfaction with the help of the third colleague.
- If either of the colleagues still do not feel the matter has been resolved to their satisfaction, then both of them agree to discuss the matter together with a contingent of colleagues designated for this purpose and consisting of three (3) year-round colleagues with a wide scope of functions and three (3) seasonal (when in the pack season), or other (when not in the pack season), colleagues. For simplification, we may call these designated colleagues Conflict Resolution Colleagues.
- If either of the colleagues still do not feel the matter has been resolved to their satisfaction, then both of them agree to discuss the matter together at another meeting of the six (6) designated colleagues and Chris.
- In attempting to resolve differences, the following shall be given careful consideration: A) our Mission and any specific objective; B) the relevant facts, assumptions and values; and C) the method used to determine the proper direction.
- When there is a determination on a course of action for the facility colleagues, or specific colleagues, it is incumbent on each colleague to follow that course of action. If new information becomes available which could change the chosen course of action regarding any particular matter, then it should be presented for consideration and a new determination. Until a new course of action is determined, each colleague is bound to follow the chosen course of action and work energetically toward achieving the Mission in the manner decided.
6. Caring and Sharing - To the degree colleagues care about themselves, their friends and relatives, fellow colleagues, suppliers, customers, the environment, the Mission, Principles and facilities, etc., each of us will come closer to achieving our personal goals. In caring for others, each colleague commits to (1) sharing relevant information with others, and (2) taking the initiative to forward information which they believe may be helpful to others' activities, even if it is not asked for.
7. Do What is Right. Live, speak and endeavor to find the truth.